Tim is the managing partner of Winget, Spadafora & Schwartzberg, LLP’s Los Angeles office. Tim’s principal area of practice is complex civil litigation with an emphasis on director & officer liability, and professional liability defense involving securities and insurance products. Tim has extensive trial experience. He has also headed up corporate investigations into various employment issues from alleged discrimination to whistleblower actions. He also has experience defending financial professionals in enforcement actions before various regulatory agencies. In addition to his trial experience, Tim has achieved outstanding results for his clients before a number of appellate courts, including the California Supreme Court, the California Court of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit.
- Defense verdict for owner of closely held corporation in minority shareholder rights action involving $5 million in alleged disguised dividends in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Obtained writ of mandate in the California Court of Appeal reversing trial court’s discovery order based on California’s Constitutional right of privacy in a professional liability and fraud matter involving $100 million in life insurance policies
- Tried to verdict $15 million dispute among members of a limited liability company in the life settlement industry.
- Defense arbitration award in professional liability case involving estate planning issues.
- Tried to verdict dispute arising out of a seven-figure life settlement transaction in Orange County Superior Court.
- Obtained summary judgment for outside auditor of City of Chino Hills in $30 million breach of contract and fraud case.
- Obtained summary judgment in United States District Court for the Southern District of California for client in employment action alleging violation of terms of long-term incentive plan relating to vesting of stock compensation.
- Led corporate investigation after employee sought whistleblower protections relating to misappropriation of funds in a non-profit entity.
- Represented various corporate entities in matters involving misappropriation of trade secrets and enforcement of non-compete agreements.
- Obtained successful administrative judgment defending investment adviser in enforcement action brought by California Department of Corporations
- Obtained successful administrative judgment defending insurance broker in enforcement action brought by California Department of Insurance.
- Obtained defense verdict for insurance broker arising out of a dispute with insured over commercial coverages in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Successfully tried seven-figure product’s liability case to verdict before a jury in Los Angeles Superior Court.